In January, a powerful explosion was responsible for the destruction of hundreds of homes and businesses in northwest Houston. Two people lost their lives, and several more were injured.
Many families are dealing with immediate and urgent challenges – and Catholic Charities is here to provide relief and recovery for our vulnerable neighbors. These disaster situations result in homelessness, loss of critical vehicles, and complete loss of belongings. Recovery can take weeks and months.
Available resources for those impacted by the explosion:
- Call Catholic Charities’ Intake line at 713.526.4611 to inquire about assistance.
- Emergency financial assistance for food, clothing, housing and more
- Guadalupe Food Pantry
- Emergency shelter
- Rental assistance
- Mental health counseling
- Blessed Beginnings (diapers, children’s clothing, baby items)
- Employment services
- Public benefits assistance
- Financial education
- Immigration legal assistance
- Information and referral
- Contact the Texas Emergency Helpline by dialing 2-1-1 or searching online at www.211texas.org to be connected to an agency that may be able to help with immediate needs.
- Memorial Area Ministries (MAM) – rehousing assistance, case management services and mental health counseling to families.
- Lone Star Legal Aid – legal assistance such as landlord/tenant issues, dealing with insurance policies, and avoiding home repair fraud.
- American Red Cross – Texas Gulf Coast Region
How to Help
Your immediate gifts can help these families get back on their feet and return to their homes as quickly as possible. With your support, Catholic Charities will be able to provide emergency financial assistance for food, rent, clothing and more, and also provide counseling services to those who need it.
Our thoughts and prayers are with those impacted by this catastrophe, especially the families of the precious lives that were lost. We pray for everyone to have a safe and speedy recovery from this disaster.