The Lotus Project
While female veterans grew stronger physically through combat, many may have experienced trauma, separation anxiety from their children, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) and homelessness.
This special project was named from the lotus flower, which grows underwater in the dark, murky conditions of still ponds then bursts forth – strong and beautiful – into the sun. It pushes aside many obstacles and makes its way to the surface, opening petal by petal, thriving in the roughest conditions.
The Lotus Project is committed to providing the best services possible so that no female veteran remains homeless or without the support necessary to care for herself and her children.
- Permanent and supportive housing placement for homeless, disabled female veterans with or without children
- Needs assessment to build customized life action plan
- Financial Counseling
- GI Bill Counseling
- Life Skills Classes
- Mental Health Referrals
- Increasing Veteran’s social network and rebuilding her support system
- Clients must be 18 years of age or older
- Photo ID
- Proof of address
- Proof of income
- Proof of Veteran Status (DD-214, VA ID Card, Letter of Service)
- Must be able to demonstrate need such as an eviction notice or foreclosure letter
326 South Jensen Drive, Houston, Texas 77003
Fort Bend County
Mamie George Community Center
1111 Collins Road, Richmond, Texas 77469
4700 Broadway, Suite F-103, Galveston, Texas 77551
(Women Veteran Services also serves surrounding counties. Call 713.383.9890 for more information.)
This program is supported by a grant from the Texas Veterans Commission Fund for Veterans’ Assistance.
The Fund for Veterans’ Assistance provides grants to organizations serving Texas Veterans and their families.