Parish Social Ministry
Parish Social Ministry (PSM) comprises of any aspect of parish life which reaches out to those in need in their parish community. Often times this involves providing food or clothing, financial support, case management, or merely a safe organization to turn to.
Parishes are the home of the Christian community; they are the heart of our Church. Parishes are the place where God’s people meet Jesus in word and sacrament and come in touch with the source of the Church’s life… But until now, we have not specifically addressed the crucial role of parishes in the Church’s social ministry… we are convinced that the local parish is the most important ecclesial setting for sharing and acting on our Catholic social heritage.
-Introduction to USCCB Communities of Salt and Light: Reflections on the Social Mission of the Parish
At Catholic Charities, we support social ministries at the parish level in a variety of ways. Our goal is to provide each parish with training and resources to meet the needs expressed at each parish community. PSM works with parishes to empower parishioners to live out their baptismal call to serve the needs of those living right in their own communities.
Ways We Serve Parishes:
- Bi-Annual Parish Social Ministry Certification Program
- Parish Social Ministry Network: Keep up with what is happening in social ministry around the Archdiocese and throughout the Church while exploring new tools to aid in our service to others by clicking here to sign up
- Quarterly Networking Luncheons: Join your colleagues to discuss best practices while gaining a continuing education
- Parish Trainings (Available Presentations: Catholic Social Teaching, Parish Social Ministry or Advocacy)
- Social Ministry Staff and Volunteer Retreats at your parish
- Coordination of participation in events such as Texas Catholic Faith in Action Advocacy Day, Catholic Charities USA Regional Gathering and others as they arrive
- Access to Catholic Charities and Archdiocesan resources through referrals
- Individual parish consultation for the initiation and/or growth of a program